Follow by Email

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's been a boring week!/ What Made the '60's the decade of the century

Yeah, I added two titles to this because I intend to start off by bitching about the fact that literally hours after my last post my power cord to my lap top, that damnable thing I had been piecing together since August, finally bid its final farewells to the world. It refused to be spliced and put together again. It said goodbye cruel world and that was that. Fortunately, my old man and I saw this coming earlier that day and we ordered another. Unfortunately I just got it today. Now I am behind on EVERYTHING from finacial aid stuff to book promoting to facebooking. I think some of my facebook friends actually feared that I was going to be on a milk carton soon. But I did get to read some of my old books I had lying around and I didn't have class so those were two pluses. I also did a little writing old school style (you all remember what that was like, right? Where we used a pen and some paper???? lol). With my rant finished I would like to go all philosophical on everyone. If the 1960's holds no interest for you, stop reading now and ignore the remainder of this blog of mine. But if you are like me and you have a mind that has spent countless hours holding on to that place in time (even if, like me, you never lived within it in this life) you have probably asked yourself a time or two in the past what it was about those precious ten years that still holds us so captivated. I have a few theories. The first seems pretty simple. It was meant to happen. That time, those places, and the people who lived within them were meant to be thrown together in such a way as to create mass social, cultural, and psychological changes in our world. Look at all that came about as a result of those crazy years. Racial equality, gender equality, the begining of gay rights, and through it all there was the soundtrack of a lifetime supplied by some of the most amazing musicians we will ever know. Many of these issues are coming up again with war and women's rights taking the forefront and it seems sometimes as if history is repeating itself...or rather, that it would depending on how we react to it this time around. There is a lot to fight in our nation right now no matter what your views are. The problem is, like the us and them battle between the generations back then, we are again fighting each other instead of issues. This can be really counterproductive but it is also really hard to resist. I find myself looking at certain people in politics, in the media, and even in every day life thinking, 'Man, what a total jerk off!' because I have never been able to understand the craving of power and the desire of some to rob many of rights that harm no one and benefit most. But then again, how well would those people understand me? I'm a crazy tree hugger with impossible dreams and unrealistic visions. I do stand by the Live and let Live philosophy one hundred percent but I do not claim to approve of everyone and their views or choices. I have often wondered what the original hippies would think of me and my way of doing things. How many saw all war as unnecissary? I don't. Some wars are justified. But Vietnam wasn't, Korea wasn't, and the three we are currently involved in, if they were once, appear to not be justified anymore. How many hippies do you suppose saw all drugs as good ideas? I don't. Things like heroin, coke, crack, meth....they have no place in the world. Pot, 'shrooms, even the acid of the Owlsly variety (too many crazy things in it now I've heard) were said to open up other worlds. You really heard nothing of overdoses or addiction where they were concerned. So maybe they were alright. I would love nothing more than to sit down with someone who marched on the Pentagon, someone who went to Woodstock, someone who cried out in shock and fury on the streets of Chicago and just rap with them, you know? But maybe what I want most is to see someone like that read my book and tell me just how right or wrong I was in my assumptions. That is something I will look forward to almost as much as seeing that damned thing in print. There is much to learn from the road they paved and these are lessons we may need soon for our own battles.

2 comments:

  1. My Mom would not let me go to Woodstock. "It was too far away and I was too young [14]" she said. When Goose Lake Festival came around she said "You dont have a car and you cant ride your bike 12 miles" I rode 60 miles in one day before! At least I could hear the Rock Groups from the dock on Gilletts Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Us moms always worry, man. haha My grandmother was 21 the year of Woodstock, she already had my mom and she had just given birth to my uncle the month before. When I asked her why she couldn't have gone so I might live vicariously through her she told me that she had no idea what it was until it was over and she was too busy having babies. haha Good reasons I guess...I am very grateful for the footage they captured that weekend. I don't think I could have even tried to capture that festival on paper if not for the movie...the Director's Cut of course. :)

    ReplyDelete