Follow by Email

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Doors-The End

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gRQUpETRXVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In August of 1966, after a huge argument with Jack concerning whether or not L.A.'s music scene was important to the paper, Liz got her way. She had been hearing a great deal about this new band around town that had a crazy lead singer no one could stop talking about. The night she went just happened to be the last night that The Doors would play the Whisky-A-Go-Go and when she first arrives with her entourage it appears that she will never see the lead singer. The band is on the stage and Ray, the keyboard player, is singing. She almost went home. But when a break comes word spreads that Ray and Robby went to get the infamous "Morrison" so she decides to stay just in case. And what a story she gets as a result. The End started out as a break up/love song but on this particular night, thanks to a very large dose of acid, Jim decided to go in a totally different direction with it. I have never seen the show from the Whisky obviously. I have seen Oliver Stone's interpretation but as much as I like the movie for entertainment I know that much of it is bullshit. So I had to imagine what it would be like at that time in America to be at a concert and to have the lead singer say that he wanted to fuck his mother. Here was what Liz had to say about the experience:


'It was like someone had fired a gun!   We were so stunned that he actually said it and yet there seemed nothing else in the world that would have fit better. As the music got faster so did Jim’s movements until he was dancing around like a frenzied Indian shouting, “Fuck, fuck me, come on baby…” Then he dropped. Like someone with nothing left in them he fell to the ground singing, “It hurts to set you free but you’ll never follow me…” I could feel it in my soul, that song, those lyrics…Jim’s message to us all. I certainly had my story but I also had something more amazing than that. I had a glimpse of the future for myself and everyone else around me provided by a prophet clad in black leather and blitzed on acid.'

I love this song. I always have. I think it is amazing and hypnotizing. So writing about it and what it might have been like to be one of the first people to ever hear it like we know it today was certainly no hardship. I love The Doors, Morrison was my lover in a past life I think, and having him in my book just made it more enjoyable to write...and read...all the way around. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment