Follow by Email

Monday, May 16, 2011

Paint it Black-The Rolling Stones

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8BhHTA6Gzn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paint it Black is a great old tune and it had this air of mystery to it that reminds you of summer nights and strange thoughts and things of that nature. The single came out just before finals in 1966 and Liz rushed out to get the album because she couldn't get enough of this song. It was her study buddy but it also gave her the idea that the summer before her was going to be a strange one. In many ways it was. There was this change in the air that felt as if it could take you anywhere you wanted to go yet they were still a year away from the Summer of Love and the real hippie breakout so you had a sense of feeling like something was happening but seeing no results. Anyone who remembers the summer of 1966, I would love to hear from you because I imagine that there just this anticipation in the air for something and people like Liz felt is strong but they couldn't understand it yet. I think Paint It Black was a good represenation of that.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I do remember the summer of 1966, but I was nine-and-a-half then, so I don't think I'd have the perspective of those whose remarks you really desire. Recently, at my part-time job, I had a strange conversation with a few co-workers who thought this was such a happy-sounding song. Their jaws dropped when I told them what it was about. They'd never listened to it closely enough to discern the meaning.

    ReplyDelete