Follow by Email

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Beatles-Long Long Long

I am giving you a snippet with this one. It's late November, 1968, and Liz is listening to The White Album by the Beatles for the first time as she sits in Jack's tiny apartment above the shop:
'I did just that, fixing what I had to work with before diving into what I thought was the best Beatles album of all time. Most of the songs were absolutely brilliant. There was one song that I could only listen to for a moment before turning it, not because I didn’t like it, but simply because there was something about ‘Long Long Long’ that instantly broke open in me emotions that were not as dead as I had hoped. The words of the tune combined with the sleepy music and it was almost too much. I said nothing to Jack about this but after he had gone to bed I put the record player on the coffee table and onto the turn table I placed the second album, setting the needle down on track seven. In the darkness I let myself drift into memories I had forced myself again and again to block out.'

No comments:

Post a Comment